Regularly getting general dentistry services can go a long way when it comes to keeping your teeth healthy. Preventive dentistry treatments are the most common treatments performed by dentists, and they help to protect teeth from the things that are most likely to damage them.
Teeth are naturally protected by enamel, which is the strongest part of the body. However, teeth are also exposed to more things that can damage them than any other part of the body. A person's teeth are constantly exposed to the tremendous forces that are generated by their jaw when they chew, trauma from everyday life and sporting activities, as well as the acids in the foods a person eats and acids created by bacteria in the mouth. The combination of all these things tends to wear teeth down over the course of a person's life. Here are some ways general dentistry treatments can help to prevent that:
1. Removes tartar and plaque buildup Dentists recommend getting a dental cleaning at least two times each year and for many good reasons. Tartar buildup is removed during cleanings, and this is important, since tartar cannot be removed by brushing and flossing. Tartar provides a safe haven for acid-producing bacteria that live in the mouth to thrive and facilitate tooth decay and gum disease.
2. Gives the dentist a chance to examine the patient's mouth When a patient goes in for a preventative treatment like a cleaning, the dentist gets to conduct an oral examination. The dentist will look for signs of developing dental or other health issues like oral cancer. Depending on what the examination reveals, the dentist will come up with a treatment plan.
3. Saves money Preventative dentistry makes a patient's dental bill lower in the long run. Dentistry is like many other things in life. The earlier an issue is detected, the cheaper it typically is to fix it. Most preventative treatments like cleanings do not cost much, yet they can help to prevent serious issues that cost thousands of dollars to fix.
4. Provides teeth with an extra layer of protection The teeth are constantly exposed to all types of things that can damage them, but preventative dentistry offers them additional protection. Treatments like fluoride can be used to help remineralize a person's teeth, while dental sealants can be used to protect teeth from food particles and acids that can damage them. Dental prosthetics like crowns can also be used to protect a tooth.
5. Keeps the patient's teeth looking their best When a person gets regular preventative treatments, any dental issues that arise are always dealt with during their early stages before major damage is done. This helps to avoid the need for more serious dental treatments and keeps the patient's teeth looking healthy.
The bottom line Getting regular general dentistry services such as preventative dental treatments is a must. Take good care of your teeth and they will remain healthy throughout your life. When was the last time you had a preventative procedure? Schedule an appointment with a general dentist today.